Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The modified Envelope system

I should have taken before and after pictures of this deal....

Before, my purse looked like an envelope factory blew up inside, with all the flaps crinkled and folded every which way and envelopes turned this way and that so you didn't know which was which....You know what I'm talking about, surely some of you have been on this financial pinching system... ;-)

Well I couldn't stand it anymore. I went to different places trying to find a wallet that I thought would work, but wasn't going to pay $8 for a wallet when....HELLO, there is no envelope for buying wallets....

so...I sat down yesterday morning and started scribbling on paper trying to figure out what size I was going to make this "prototype" and low and behold, it worked out so well I think it's actually going to be the real thing... I sketched out a 1/2 inch wide border around a dollar bill and then went from there.... one thing I found out is that receipts are not the same size as the money.... What is up with that???? They really need to change that for all of us who are suppose to save the receipts to see if they add up to what was in the envelope. Scott was even shocked to find out such a thing.

The envelopes themselves are business size envelopes cut down to be just a bit bigger than the bill and then covered with duct tape to make them sturdier....(good ole' Duct Tape) ;-) I also fusible webbed two different kinds of fabric together before I sewed them, to give it a little more thickness and to make it look lined. We'll see how long the whole thing lasts.







I think if someone had more time to fuss with the thing....it could look a lot nicer.
like using a label maker to label each one.....and actually getting to take your time with the duct tape to make it look nicer....or you could use contact paper. But for my crunched time schedule, with people demanding my attention all through the day it's the best I could muster at the time.....it really only took me a couple of hours from the beginning design stage till the end. Oh as you can see....I also dug out one of my Grandma's cool buttons for the front and stole one of the girls hairbands for the button "hole"....I think I will be changing that part as soon as I find a nicer looking hairband....that one has seen it's day..... eeeeks!!!

5 comments:

Jena Webber said...

Now I'm impressed.

I am a tad concerned that some odd reader might find out that you carry a wad of cash in your purse.. and??? what? I'm not sure.

Terri said...

love it!

Gramma Skeddle said...

You are very clever sister dear... for future..they have colored duct tape... could this be a money maker on ebay or craigs list...hmmm

singtothelord2 said...

there isn't much $$ in there...:-) and I thought of the colored duct tape, but being I was trying to save money I used what I had...that fancy stuff is $4 a roll...eeeks!!

Terri said...

I have some blue duct tape in our pantry. Again IF we were in the same neighborhood it would be a smashing compliment to the blue pattern. :)